Brownington in Orleans County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Old Stone House
Historical Society Museum
In 1836, Rev. Alexander Twilight, the schoolmaster of the Orleans County Grammar School, on a main stage route to Canada, built this structure, Athenian Hall, as a dormitory for his pupils. It now holds the interesting collection of the County Historical Society.
Erected 1958 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Location. 44° 50.173′ N, 72° 10.075′ W. Marker is in Brownington, Vermont, in Orleans County. Marker is at the intersection of Hinman Settler Road and Old Stone House Road, on the right when traveling north on Hinman Settler Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orleans VT 05860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Henry M. Leland (approx. 6 miles away); Early 20th Century, Newport / Newport au début du 20e siècle (approx. 7.2 miles away); Pomerleau Park (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Lane Opera House / Le « Lane Opera House » (approx. 7.2 miles away); Newport's Hotels and Tourism / Les Hotels de Newport et le Tourisme The Arrival of the Railroad / L'Arrivée du Chemin de Fer (approx. 7.2 miles away); Tour Boats on the Lake / Les Bateaux de Randonnée sur le Lac (approx. 7.2 miles away).
Regarding Old Stone House. Old Stone House Museum is open from May 15th to October 15th. From Wednesday to Sunday - 11am to 5pm.
Also see . . . Old Stone House museum / Orleans County Historical Society. (Submitted on July 21, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 29, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.