Opelousas in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Poste des Opelousas founded by French traders middle of 18th century. Headquarters district of Opelousas under Spanish 1769. Parish seat of "Old Imperial St. Landry" 1808. State Capital 1862-1863.
Poste des Opelousas établi par des commercants français au milieu du XVIIIe. Quartier Général de la région des Opelousas en 1769 sous les Espagnols. Chef~lieu du "Vieux St~Landry Impérial", 1808. Capitale de l'état, 1862~63.
Erected 1959 by Louisiana Department Of Commerce and Industry.
Location. 30° 31.998′ N, 92° 5.014′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker is on Ronald Reagan Highway (U.S. 190) west of South Court Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. In the Parish Courthouse square. Marker is in this post office area: Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Opelousas (within shouting distance of this marker); Humble Cottage Lodge No. 19 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Opelousas Colored School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Opelousas Catholic School (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 8, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 21, 2015. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?