Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Harding in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin

 
 
Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 22, 2008
1. Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin Marker
Inscription.
1847 Gothic Revival villa,
“Mount Kemble,” built for
Henry and Frances Duer
Hoyt on the site of the
house of colonial official
Peter Kemble, reluctant
host to Continental Army.
Renamed “Glen Alpin” by
David H. McAlpin in 1885.

 
Erected 1984 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 45.296′ N, 74° 31.548′ W. Marker is in Harding, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Mt. Kemble Avenue (U.S. 202), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Vernon NJ 07976, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jockey Hollow (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Anderson Woods (approx. 0.2 miles away); On the line (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Connecticut Line (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stark’s Brigade (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Stark’s Brigade
Marker on Mt. Kemble Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 22, 2008
2. Marker on Mt. Kemble Avenue
(approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Stark’s Brigade (approx. 0.8 miles away); Remembering the Past: Stark’s Brigade Monument circa 1900 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harding.
 
Also see . . .
1. Glen Alpin Report: History. Harding township Civic Association. (Submitted on June 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

2. Glen Alpin House. Article about the protection of the historic Glen Alpin residence. (Submitted on June 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 

3. Historic Markers/Historic Preservation. Morris County Heritage Commission. (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNotable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Glen Alpin House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 22, 2008
3. Glen Alpin House
Peter Kemble, president of the Royal Council of New Jersey under Royal Governor William Franklin, built a manor house here in the 1750’s. This current house was a replacement for that one.
Glen Alpin House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, June 22, 2008
4. Glen Alpin House
When the Continental Army encamped in nearby Jockey Hollow in the winter of 1779-1780, the house on this site was occupied by General William Smallwood, a principal general in the American Army and later a Governor of Maryland. In the winter of 1780-1781, it was the quarters of General Anthony Wayne.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,137 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement