South Royalton in Windsor County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Wagon Wheels Farm
Tourists Accommodated, 1937-1942
The farmhouse on this site, dating from the late-18th century, was purchased by Irene and Robert Slater in 1934, along with a barn and 145 acres of land. During the Great Depression, like many Vermont farmers, the Slaters took in tourists to supplement their income from dairy farming and maple sugaring. In 1937 and '38 the famous New York artist Edward Hopper and his wife, Josephine, spent month-long sojourns at Wagon Wheels while Hopper painted watercolors of the farm property and the landscape along the White River. In 1941 First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt stayed overnight in the farmhouse, traveling from the White House to inspect Camp William James, an offshoot of the Civilian Conservation Corps in nearby Tunbridge.
Erected 2013 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 43° 50.099′ N, 72° 30.727′ W. Marker is in South Royalton, Vermont, in Windsor County. Marker is on Vermont Route 110 one mile north of Vermont Route 14, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: South Royalton VT 05068, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jessie LaFountain Bigwood (approx. one mile away); Site of 1780 Raid Joseph Smith Monument (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Royalton Raid (approx. 2.2 miles away); Tunbridge World's Fair (approx. 3.7 miles away); Eighteen Hundred And Froze To Death / United Church Of Bethel (approx. 6.2 miles away); Strafford (approx. 7 miles away); Strafford Village (approx. 7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in South Royalton.
Also see . . . Edward Hopper Biography. (Submitted on July 23, 2015, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Arts, Letters, Music •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.