Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Directly ahead, the expanse of Salem Sound is dotted with numerous islands belonging to the city. The largest is Baker’s Island, which boasts a sizable summer community and has been the site of a navigational beacon since 1798. To the south of Salem Willows, across the entrance to Salem Harbor, lie the headlands of Marblehead. To the north, across Beverly Harbor, the shore stretches toward the rugged coast of Gloucester and the rest of Cape Ann.
Salem Willows provides a seaside promenade popular throughout Essex County, Boston, and beyond. The area also possesses residential and historical importance. A
Salem Rediscovered – A community project sponsored by Historic Salem Inc. and the City of Salem
Funded in part by the National Endowment for the Arts and business contributions
Location. 42° 32.179′ N, 70° 52.106′ W. Marker is in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker can be reached from Fort Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is near the most northern part of Salem Willows park. Marker is in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. On "The Line" 1880-1940 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salem Willows Park Opens for Business (about 700 feet away); Hospital Point Light / Honor the Valiant Men (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hospital Point Lighthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hale Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away); Beverly Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Memorial Bell (approx. 1.1 miles away); Beverly World War I Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 23, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.