Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pitot House

Built Late 18th Century

 
 
Pitot House Marker image. Click for full size.
April 16, 2010
1. Pitot House Marker
Inscription. Home of James Pitot, who was first Mayor of incorporated City of New Orleans, 1804-1805. Also Builder of one of the City’s first cotton presses.
 
Location. 29° 58.906′ N, 90° 5.361′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Moss Street 0.2 miles south of Esplanade Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1440 Moss Street, New Orleans LA 70119, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In Memory of All American Veterans (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana (about 700 feet away); Our Lady of the Rosary Rectory (about 700 feet away); Metairie And Gentilly Ridges (about 700 feet away); Allard Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Portage (approx. ¼ mile away); Duelling Grounds (approx. half a mile away); Charles Didier Dreaux (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
 
Also see . . .  Pitot House Museum and Gardens. Louisiana Landmarks Society (Submitted on July 24, 2015.) 
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Pitot House Marker image. Click for full size.
April 16, 2010
2. Pitot House Marker
Pitot House in its new location image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, circa 1970
3. Pitot House in its new location
The Ducayet House image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, circa 1964
4. The Ducayet House
The Pitot House originally stood about 100 feet south of its present location on Bayou St. John, adjoining church property. The church intended to tear the Pitot House down, but a swap was arranged. The Ducayet House (at one time the Ducayet family owned both properties) was torn down, shown in this photo, and the Pitot House moved onto a new foundation at this location and restored. The church was able to expand into the old site of the Pitot House.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2015. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2015.   3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement