Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Emporia in Greensville County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Mabry's Chapel

 
 
Mabry's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, August 8, 2010
1. Mabry's Chapel Marker
Inscription. Eight miles northeast stood Mabry's Chapel, the fourth Methodist house of worship built in Virginia. It was constructed in 1780, five years after the congregation first met at John Mabry's dwelling. By 1804, a new larger church was built; it included a balcony for black worshipers. Bishop Francis Asbury, Thomas Rankin, and Devereux Jarratt preached here in 1775. Two sessions of the Virginia Annual conference, the 11th in Nov. 1794 and the 13th in Nov. 1796, met at Mabry's Chapel with Asbury presiding. The congregation relocated to a church on Allen's Road in 1847.
 
Erected 1999 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number UM-52.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher marker series.
 
Location. 36° 45.341′ N, 77° 39.233′ W. Marker is near Emporia, Virginia, in Greensville County. Marker is on Pleasant Shade Drive (U.S. 58) half a mile west of Grassy Pond Road (Virginia Route 606), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Emporia VA 23847, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brunswick County / Greensville County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Meherrin Indians
Mabry's Chapel Marker, looking east along US 58 image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2012
2. Mabry's Chapel Marker, looking east along US 58
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Brunswick County, Virginia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mecklenburg Electric Cooperative (approx. 4.9 miles away); Double Bridges (approx. 5.9 miles away); Smoky Ordinary (approx. 6.9 miles away); a different marker also named Smoky Ordinary (approx. 6.9 miles away); John Day (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emporia.
 
Also see . . .
1. Sir Francis Asbury. Bishop Francis Asbury (August 20, 1745 – March 31, 1816) was one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church, now The United Methodist Church in the United States. He was the namesake of Indiana Asbury University, now DePauw University. (Submitted on October 17, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 

2. Devereux Jarratt (1733-1801). The awakening also featured mixed-race assemblies. One Methodist itinerant, Thomas Rankin, recorded that at one meeting, "hundreds fell to the ground, and the house seemed to shake with the presence of God. (Submitted on October 17, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Mabry's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 20, 2012
3. Mabry's Chapel Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 51 times this year. Last updated on July 24, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos:   1. submitted on October 15, 2011, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.   2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement