Banner in Sheridan County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
John (Portugee) Phillips
who Dec. 22-24, 1866, rode 236 miles
in sub-zero weather through
Indian infested country to Fort
Laramie to summon aid for the
garrison of Fort Phil Kearny
beleaguered by Indians following
the Fetterman Massacre.
The Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming
Erected 1936 by Historical Landmark Commission of Wyoming.
Location. 44° 32.117′ N, 106° 49.404′ W. Marker is in Banner, Wyoming, in Sheridan County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearny Lane and Wagon Box Road, on the left when traveling south on Kearny Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Banner WY 82832, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Band: (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Sutler’s Store: (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Post Headquarters: (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Fort Phil Kearny (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Guard House: (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Civilians: (approx. ¼ mile away); The Bozeman Trail (approx. ¼ mile away); Cemetery Site (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Banner.
Categories. • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 281 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 24, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.