Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Jean E. Keith Memorial
On March 27, 1979, the City of Alexandria designated the Lyceum as a memorial to Jean E. Keith to commemorate his dedication to the restoration and preservation of this building and many others within the city. His outstanding and unselfish devotion to the cause of historic preservation has made a lasting contribution to the protection of Alexandria’s unique architectural heritage.
Location. 38° 48.224′ N, 77° 2.848′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on South Washington Street (Virginia Route 400) south of Prince Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the wall at the entrance doors. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 S Washington St, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Confederate Statue (within shouting The Alexandria Lyceum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Timberman Brothers (about 500 feet away); Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (about 500 feet away); John Douglass Brown House (about 500 feet away); George Washington Memorial Parkway (about 500 feet away); Lee-Fendall House (about 500 feet away); Christ Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Regarding The Lyceum. Caleb Cushing (1800–1879), mentioned on this marker, was an American statesman and diplomat who served as a U.S. Congressman from Massachusetts and Attorney General under President Franklin Pierce.
Also see . . . What is a ‘Lyceum’. “By 1839, the popularity of these programs had grown so that The Alexandria Lyceum sought to construct a new hall which would better suit its needs. Joining his organization with the older Alexandria Library Company in this venture, Hallowell guided the construction. A significant (Submitted on June 28, 2008.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,842 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.