Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

L.G. Murphy Sutler Store

 
 
L.G. Murphy Sutler Store Marker image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 22, 2015
1. L.G. Murphy Sutler Store Marker
Inscription. On the site located 100 yards west of this sign resided the L.G. Murphy Sutler Store (the post trader). Begun in 1866 by Lawrence G. Murphy and Emil Fritz (both former Dragoons stationed at Fort Stanton), it was a large, rambling, adobe structure of several connected buildings with many rooms. Within its walls, soldiers and civilians could find all of life’s amenities not provided by the Army. Murphy was expelled from the fort in 1873 and moved to Lincoln where he and James Dolan built the Murphy-Dolan store. This building also became the first Mescalero Indian Agency building before the Agency was moved to the present location of the town of Mescalero.

Top photo etching caption - Mescalero Apaches in front of the Agency/Sutler Store. Bottom photo etching caption - Ledger sheet from the L.G. Murphy Co.

As you cast your gaze across the field, notice the beautiful vistas surrounding Fort Stanton from the picturesque Rio Bonito to the majestic Sierra Blanca. This beauty has captured the hearts of generations of visitors and residents alike.

‘It was probably the best built post in New Mexico, and in a position unsurpassed for the beauty of its surrounding scenery, and affording every requisite for a military life.’

Captain A.W. Evans, Acting Assistant Inspector General, July 13, 1863
 
Erected
L.G. Murphy Sutler Store Marker site. image. Click for full size.
By William F Haenn, July 22, 2015
2. L.G. Murphy Sutler Store Marker site.
2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
 
Location. 33° 29.616′ N, 105° 31.702′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nurse's Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Commissary Warehouse (about 300 feet away); Officer's Quarters (about 400 feet away); CCC Camp/German Internment Camp (about 600 feet away); Fort Administration Building (about 600 feet away); Commanding Officer's Quarters (about 600 feet away); Guardhouse (about 700 feet away); Hospital Administration (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
 
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains in the Fort Stanton, NM National Register Historic District.
 
Regarding L.G. Murphy Sutler Store. Both Murphy and Fritz commanded Fort Stanton at the end of the Civil War. Fritz did serve at Ft Stanton in 1855, as an enlisted man in Co "K," 1st Regiment of Dragoons. There is no evidence Murphy was ever a Dragoon. He was however an officer in the
From left: James Dolan, Emil Fritz, unk, Lawrence Murphy image. Click for full size.
circa 1874
3. From left: James Dolan, Emil Fritz, unk, Lawrence Murphy
1st New Mexico Cavalry 1862-66 achieving the rank of Brevet Major. Murphy was the ringleader of "The House" in the Lincoln County War, 1878.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 25, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers
 
L.G. Murphy Check while post trader at Fort Stanton image. Click for full size.
circa 1870
4. L.G. Murphy Check while post trader at Fort Stanton
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 25, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 25, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.   3, 4. submitted on May 18, 2016, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement