Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Ireland's New York Brigade
—Twelfth Corps —
102nd New York Infantry
137th New York Infantry
149th New York Infantry
Ireland's - Third Brigade
Geary's - Second Division
Slocum's - Twelfth Corps
11th and 12th Corps
Army of the Potomac
November 25, 1863
[inscribed below plaque]
[Reverse Side of Marker]
The New York Infantry Regiments of Ireland's Brigade supporting Landgraeber's Battery on west side of Missionary Ridge on afternoon of November 25, 1863, advanced and connected with the right of Palmer's 14th Corps. They assisted in breaking the lines of Breckinridge's Confederate Corps, the Division capturing many prisoners.
The skirmishers of the Brigade reached this point and beyond.
The main body of the Brigade bivouacked at the foot of the hill, in the Confederate camps.
Erected 1897 by State of New York. (Marker Number MT-237.)
Location. 35° 0.19′ N, 85° 16.289′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road north of East View Drive, on the right when traveling Touch for map. According to the location information provided by the National Park Service, “Monument located on Missionary Ridge at 444 South Crest Road/1934 Map 163.". Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 111th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment (a few steps from this marker); Geary's Division (a few steps from this marker); 29th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment (a few steps from this marker); 76th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 7th Ohio Infantry. (within shouting distance of this marker); Stovall's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 66th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Cobham's Brigade (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “6'4" x 4'4" x 11' high, the rock-faced granite monument consists of a vertical slab on a two-piece base. On front is a shield-shaped bronze plaque and bronze state seal. "NEW YORK" is inscribed below plaque.”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures (Submitted on August 26, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 39 times this year. Last updated on July 25, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 18, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 6. submitted on July 25, 2015, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.