Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by City of Falls Church.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, City of Falls Church marker series.
Location. 38° 52.553′ N, 77° 9.435′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North Roosevelt Street and Ridge Plaza, on the right when traveling east on North Roosevelt Street. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to Oakwood Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Taylor’s Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Falls Church Taylor’s Tavern (about 500 feet away); Tallwood (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dulin Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Buffalo (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wren’s Tavern (approx. half a mile away); SW No. 9 Mile Marker (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
Also see . . . Photographs of Oakwood Cemetery. Comparing the photograph from 1900 to one from 2000. (Submitted on October 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Text of additional nearby Fairfax Chapel marker (Photos 3 and 5)
Caption:“Black Harry” Hosier discovered preaching to the Negroes at Fairfax Chapel.
This was the site of Fairfax Chapel, an early Methodist church, built ca. 1779 and began about 1773 in the William Adam´s home, 1.5 miles south. Bishop Asbury often preached here. His journal of May 13, 1781, records the first Methodist sermon
The chapel, rebuilt in 1819 of brick, was destroyed in 1862 by Union troops who used the bricks for chimneys in their winter quarters in nearby Ft. Buffalo (now Seven Corners). After the Civil War the congregation divided into what became Dulin and Crossman Churches.
— Submitted July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,069 times since then and 70 times this year. Last updated on July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.