Kansas City in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Old French Kansas City
A short distance northwest of this marker was the center of the village which in the early 1800's the St. Louis Chouteau called "Chez Lez Canses"" meaning "at the home of the Kansas." Others called it "Chouteau's." The Chouteaus founded Kansas City in 1821 to trade for beaver furs with the French-speaking Kansa. French traders started coming up the Missouri as early as 1680 and traded on the River thereafter; some located here temporarily in 1799, and a few Canadian French farmers arrived here about 1803 to 1813. To the west was the Church of St. Francis Regis, built of logs by the French-speaking parishoners in 1835, with its cemetery behind. Down over the West Bluffs were little arpent strip farms of the French, and their songs and the music of their fiddles could be heard in the area which is now Quality Hill. To the North along the Missouri river were their open fields which became Kansas City's old square. North of Ft. Leavenworth was the abandoned site of Fort Cavagnal (1744-1764) at the second old Kansas Grand Village. East past Prudhumme's farm which downtown Kansas City was platted, was Francois and Berenice Chouteau's trading post near the present Chouteau Bridge. Further east near Brunswick, Mo., was the former home of Ft. Orleans established at the Missouri Village
A environ deux blocs au nord-ouest de cette plaque, se trouvait le centre du village nommé "chez les Canses" ce qui voulait dire "chez les Kansa" par la famille Chouteau de Saint Louis début des années 1800. D'autres l'appelaient "Aux Chouteaux". Les Chourteau fondèrerent Kansas City en 1821 afin d’établir un comploir commercial de fourrures de castor avec les Kansa francophones. Les negociants français commencèrent à remonter le Missouri des 1680 et continuèrent luer commerce le long de la rivière. Certains s’établirent temporairement en 1799 et quelques fermiers canadiens français arrivèment vers les années 1803-1813. A l’ouest se trouvent l’église de Saint-Francois Regis, construite en troncs d’arbes par les pariossiens francophones en 1835 ainsi que son cimetière. En contrebas sur les collines de l’ouest, il y avail quelque arpents de terre appartenat à des fermiers francais d’ou les chants
Erected by Chouteau Society Francis Families Foundation. (Marker Number 1.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kansas City MO 64105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Convention Center (a few steps from this marker); Kansas City Municipal Auditorium (within shouting distance of this marker); "Bronco Buster" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Aladdin Hotel (about 400 feet away); Reverend Bernard Donnelly (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chouteau’s Church (St. Francis Regis) (approx. ¼ mile away); Camp Union (approx. ¼ mile away); Frankel, Frank & Co Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kansas City.
More about this marker. This marker is right across the street from Municipal Auditorium. Parking will be at a premium, especially during the week and during conventions.
Also see . . .
1. The Chouteau Society. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
2. Barney Allis Plaza. Wikipedia link to the plaza that the marker is a part of. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
3. Kansas City Convention Bureau. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
4. Jean Baptiste Charbonneau. Wikipedia Link to Jean Baptiste Charbonneau (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
5. Etienne De Veniard. Wikipedia link to Etienne De Veniard (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 52 times this year. Last updated on July 26, 2015, by Michael W. Kruse of Kansas City, Missouri. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 31, 2011, by Thomas Onions of Olathe, Kansas. 4. submitted on September 5, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.