Washington in Rappahannock County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Town of Washington, Virginia
The First Washington of All
Organized and established as a town by the General Assembly of Virginia, December 14, 1796.
Incorporated as a municipality by the General Assembly of Virginia, February 12, 1894.
Location. 38° 42.736′ N, 78° 9.565′ W. Marker is in Washington, Virginia, in Rappahannock County. Marker is at the intersection of Gay Street and Jett Street, on the right when traveling south on Gay Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington VA 22747, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Kitty Payne (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington, Virginia (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ellerslie (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Tale of Two Mills (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Washington, Virginia (approx. 0.7 miles away); Banks’s Grand Review (approx. 1.7 miles away); Music, Omens, and Destiny (approx. 2.4 miles away); Albert Gallatin Willis (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Washington.
Regarding The Town of Washington, Virginia. Washington is
From the Wikipedia entry for Washington, Virginia: The Town of Washington was formerly the location of a trading post utilized by frontier families and members of the resident Manahoac tribe. All of the territory in and around the current town was under the ownership of Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron. In 1748, Lord Fairfax met a 16 year-old George Washington, a distant relative of his. Being impressed by his character, Fairfax employed Washington to survey his lands west of the Blue Ridge Mountains. On 24 July 1749, the town layout as it appears today was surveyed and platted by Washington with the assistance of his chainmen John Lonem and Edward Corder as part of his service to Fairfax. The village was officially established as a Town by the Virginia General Assembly on December 14, 1795 when it gained the requisite population of 200. Records from an 1835 gazetteer state that the town contained one academy, fifty-five dwellings, four mercantile stores, two taverns, one house of worship, twenty-seven trade shops, and two large flour mills.
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 9, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 866 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on July 26, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 9, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.