Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
‘Fort Stanton was a beautiful post, with the best quarters in the Army at the time, but it was like being buried alive to stay there. Nothing ever passed that way, and it was seldom a stranger came among us.’
Lydia Spencer Lane, Officer’s Wife
Erected 2014 by Fort Stanton Historic Site.
Location. 33° 29.709′ N, 105° 31.58′ W. Marker is in Fort Stanton, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker can be reached from Parade Ground near State Road 220. Touch for map. This marker faces the parade ground and is only accessible by walking. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Stanton NM 88323, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Officer's Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Commanding Officer's Quarters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barracks / Dining Hall (about 300 feet away); Hospital Administration (about 400 feet away); Buildings 17 - 20 (about 400 feet away); Fort Administration Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Stanton.
More about this marker. This marker is one of an impressive complement of bronze markers with photo etchings which describe the extensive physical remains in the Fort Stanton, NM National Register Historic District.
Regarding Officer’s Quarters. Lydia Spencer Lane, the wife of Lieutenant William Bartlett Lane of Company B, U.S. Regiment of Mounted Riflemen, lived at Fort Stanton 1857-1859, and wrote of her experiences as an army wife on the frontier in her iconic book "I Married a Soldier or Old Days in the Old Army," published
Also see . . . Fort Stanton Historic Site, Lincoln County NM. (Submitted on July 27, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 27, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. This page has been viewed 176 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 27, 2015, by William F Haenn of Fort Clark (Brackettville), Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.