Welcome to the Moland House
Though quickly glossed over by most historians of the Revolution, the so-called Neshaminy Encampment lasted thirteen days and was the third longest encampment in Pennsylvania.
The Moland Story
John Moland was born in London about 1700, studied law at the Inner Temple, and was commissioned King’s Attorney in Pennsylvania when he came here by way of the West Indies. The earliest record of him in this country is a deed of purchase in 1737 which refers to him as being “of the Island of St. Christophers”.
The deed shows that he bought 308 acres in Rockhill Township in Upper Bucks County from Thomas Freame, the husband of William Penn’s daughter Margaret. About the same time he married Catherine Hutchinson of New Castle, Delaware.
In 1740 Moland petitioned the court in Newtown for admittance as attorney of the Court of Common Pleas and was accepted “according to his request”. Sometime prior to 1742 he was admitted to the Philadelphia bar and acquired a reputation for being one of its ablest members.
In 1741 Moland purchased undeveloped
In 1777 Catherine Moland, widow of John Moland, still lived in this substantial dwelling which George Washington chose as his headquarters while awaiting military intelligence regarding the movement of the British forces.
The Neshaminy Encampment-August 10-23, 1777
On August 10, 1777 eleven thousand Continental and militia soldiers were marching up York Road on their way to Coryell’s Ferry (New Hope, PA). General George Washington had just received a dispatch from John Hancock, President of the Second Continental Congress. General William Howe’s British fleet and troops were fifty miles south of the Delaware Capes.
Unsure of Howe’s intentions, Washington ordered his forces to encamp around the bridge over the Little Neshaminy Creek. Knowing the area, having ridden through it only ten days earlier, he selected the widow Moland’s house as his headquarters.
On August 21, 1777 a Council of War was held at the Moland House. Having received no intelligence for two weeks and thinking that Howe had already left for Charleston, Washington decided to move north.
After Hamilton had departed for Philadelphia carrying news of the Council’s decision, a courier arrived with news that the British had
The decision was made! On August 23, 1777, Washington ordered a march toward Philadelphia. The troops left the Encampment, trudged back down York Road and subsequently met the British at Brandywine.
During the period there were many prominent Revolutionary individuals who were part of the Neshaminy Encampment including: General/Major Generals; *George Washington *Nathaniel Greene *Adam Stephen *Marquis de Lafayette; Brigadier General * Henry Knox *”Mad Anthony” Wayne *Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg; Captain/Major/Lt. Colonel *Alexander Hamilton *James J. Monroe *Count Kasimir Pulaski *John Marshall.
In addition there is the strong possibility, though not yet fully proven, that during the Encampment the thirteen-starred “Betsy Ross” flag was unfurled for the first time.
This is the legacy of the Moland House.
This is a part of our Nation’s early history.
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
Location. 40° 14.181′ N, 75° 5.497′ W. Marker is in Hartsville, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Old York Road. Touch for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Life on the Moland Farm (here, next to this marker); Moland House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cross Roads (approx. 0.6 miles away); John Kulick and Tristan Smith (approx. 0.7 miles away); Independence Hall Stones (approx. 0.7 miles away); 9/11 NYC Emergency Responders' Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Log College (approx. 1½ miles away); John Fitch's Steamboat (was approx. 2.1 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartsville.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 28, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.