Mobile in Mobile County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Creole Firehouse #1
Erected by The African-American Heritage Trail of Mobile. (Marker Number 13.)
Location. 30° 41.387′ N, 88° 3.044′ W. Marker is in Mobile, Alabama, in Mobile County. Marker is at the intersection of North Dearborn Street and St Francis Street, on the right when traveling south on North Dearborn Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 North Dearborn Street, Mobile AL 36602, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Thomas N. Harris (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); John L. LeFlore (about 300 feet away); Dr. H. Roger Williams (about 400 feet away); St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); The Convent of Mercy Bettie Hunter House (about 700 feet away); Shaarai Shomayim (about 700 feet away); Andrew N. Johnson (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mobile.
Regarding Creole Firehouse #1. The two-story brick structure with arched central bay and full height second floor windows was built to house the Creole #1 Fire Company. The fire company was absorbed into the city department in 1888 and finally disbanded in 1970. It is said that the Creole #1 was usually the first to get to the fire because they bought rejected race horses, including Jack, the horse who could follow his nose straight to the fire. Horse drawn equipment was used until 1924. The company remained in the Dearborn Street house until the Central Fire Station was built in 1926. The old fire station is now a private residence. The fireman's pole is still installed and usable.
Categories. • African Americans • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 378 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on July 28, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 28, 2015, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.