Adamsville in Lampasas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
After Townsen died in 1891 in a mill accident, a new post office opened at the Smith and Adams General Store. John T. Adams, first postmaster of Adamsville, and the Rev. McCall Smith were business partners at the store. In the late 1880s, Rev. Smith and 19 charter members met in L. Jasper and Mary Ann Townsen's home to organize Pleasant Valley Cumberland Presbyterian Church, now Adamsville Presbyterian Church. Samuel and Fannie Straley platted Adamsville in 1908. A newspaper article the following year mentioned Adamsville's ice house, Ladies' Missionary Society, Literary Society, and Woodmen of the World Camp.
Straley's School (c. 1885) was also the church for Baptist and Presbyterian congregations. County commissioners created Adamsville School District No. 15 in 1908 and trustees built a new schoolhouse; a larger 1922
Marker is Property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16731.)
Location. 31° 18.101′ N, 98° 10.15′ W. Marker is in Adamsville, Texas, in Lampasas County. Marker is at the intersection of American Legion Memorial Highway (U.S. 281) and County Route 204, on the left when traveling north on American Legion Memorial Highway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16687 US Hwy 281, Lampasas TX 76550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Presbyterian Church of Adamsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Entrance to Site of Townsen's Mill (approx. 1.3 miles away); 2.5 Mi. East is Birthplace of Stanley Walker (approx. 5.3 miles away); Benjamin F. Gholson (approx. 11.2 miles away); Evant (approx. 12.1 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Evant (approx. 12.2 miles away); Indian Culture Sites (was approx. 12.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 28, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 190 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 28, 2015, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.