Seattle in King County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Bell Street Bridge
Where did the old Bell Street Bridge go?
In the early 1900s, trestle bridges connected many of Seattle's piers on the central waterfront with the top of the bluff, offering an easy way to negotiate the steep hillside between the two. In the early days, access to the piers along what is now Alaskan Way was difficult, because of the number of railroads in the area and the tremendous waterfront congestion. Bridging over this mess improved access to the piers.
The 1915 Bell Street Bridge was replaced in 1931 with a concrete bridge. Not only did this new bridge give access to Pier 66, but a ramp system in front of the building allowed vehicle access to Alaskan Way as well. A remodel of the Pier 66 building eliminated the need for the bridge and ramp, and they were removed in the early 1980s.
The bridge you see before you was built in 1995 to offer pedestrian access between the hillside and the waterfront, as part of the Port of Seattle's Bell Street Pier redevelopment. On of the Port's major goals in undertaking the Bell Street Pier project was to link the waterfront with the city behind it - in this case the Denny Regrade neighborhood and the Pike Place Market. The Bell Street Bridge fulfills this goal.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seattle WA 98121, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bell Street Terminal, Pier 66 (within shouting distance of this marker); Why Are the Piers Angled? (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Great White Fleet” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Speakeasy Café (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crystal Pool (approx. ¼ mile away); Welcome to The Public Market (approx. ¼ mile away); Fire Bell No. 4 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterfront History (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seattle.
Also see . . . Seattle Now & Then: The Bell Street Overpass. ...The Bell Street overpass was completed in 1915 soon after the young Port of Seattle’s big Bell Street Terminal opened. The Port was proud of its grand new pier and the bridge helped to safely show it off. Here was an easy way for produce sellers to move between the Pike Place Market and the Port’s dock with the cold storage it offered. And the bridge – its sidewalk – encouraged families shopping nearby at the Pike market to also visit the recreation park the Port built (Submitted on July 30, 2015.)
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 29, 2015, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. 6. submitted on July 30, 2015. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.