Near Midland in Midland County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Midland County's First Producing Oil Well
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13403.)
Location. 31° 57.276′ N, 101° 56.328′ W. Marker is near Midland, Texas, in Midland County. Marker is on State Highway 158 6 miles south of Interstate 20, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midland TX 79706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Midland County (approx. 5½ miles away); Marcy Trail (approx. 5.6 miles away); W. F. Scarborough Home, 1908 Brown-Dorsey House (approx. 8.4 miles away); John Valentine Pliska (approx. 8½ miles away); Site of Midland County's First Bank (approx. 8½ miles away); Former Site of Midland National Bank (approx. 8½ miles away); Texas Petroleum in World War II (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Midland.
More about this marker. Marker originally placed in 1966, replaced and rewritten in 2005.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 31, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.