Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Although the wharf faces the U.S. Custom House behind you, it was not owned by the government. The wharf belonged to shipowner Elias Hasket Derby, who, with his father Richard, built the first 800 feet of it about 1770. In 1808 Derby’s heirs completed a 1,300-foot extension. Cargoes were stored in spacious three-story warehouses attached to the wharf.
Today Derby Wharf is being preserved within Salem Maritime National Historic Site. The ships and the old warehouses are gone, but portions of the original wharf remain. A walkway beginning here leads ½ mile to the lighthouse at the tip of the wharf.
Erected by U.S. Park Service.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 31.277′ N, 70° 53.215′ W. Marker was in Salem, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker was at the intersection of Derby Street and Orange Street, on Touch for map. This historical marker is located directly across the street (Derby Street) from the U.S. Customs House, at the base of Derby Wharf. Marker was in this post office area: Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Derby Wharf (here, next to this marker); The Custom House (a few steps from this marker); Privateer Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Derby House (within shouting distance of this marker); Wharves in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Salem Maritime National Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); Home for Aged Women (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pedrick Store House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
More about this marker. This marker has been replaced by another marker with the same name but different text.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 28, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 678 times since then and 27 times this year. Last updated on July 31, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 28, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.