Blackville in Barnwell County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Blackville : Town Of The Phoenix / Battle of Blackville, 1865
Blackville: Town of the Phoenix
Blackville was founded in 1833 as the first overnight stop on the new railroad operated by the S.C. Canal & Railroad Co. It was also the scene of 4 major fires in the late 19th century (in 1865, 1876, 1887, and 1888), each of which almost destroyed the town. Editor A. E. Gonzales nicknamed Blackville “The Town of the Phoenix” in 1889 in honor of its ability to rise again and again from the ashes and rebuild.
Battle of Blackville, 1865
Early on February 7, 1865, Federal cavalry under Brig. Gen. Judson Kilpatrick advanced to Blackville from Barnwell. Col. Thomas J. Jordanís brigade attacked a Confederate cavalry brigade under Col. James Hagan, drove it through the town and three miles beyond, and captured many prisoners, scattering the rest. Kilpatrick destroyed the railroad at Blackville and advanced west to Reynolds Station, between Blackville and Williston, that night.
Erected 1996 by Town of Blackville and the Blackville Historical Society. (Marker Number 06-05.)
Location. 33° 21.307′ N, 81° 16.277′ W. Marker is in Blackville, South Carolina, in Barnwell County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street / Rail Road Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackville SC 29817, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Solomon Blatt, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Blackville (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barnwell County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 2Ĺ miles away); Healing Springs (approx. 2.6 miles away); Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Godís Acre Healing Springs (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hilda (approx. 5.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackville.
Also see . . . Blackville mentioned. Memoirs of General W.T. Sherman By William Tecumseh Sherman, Michael Fellman Page 632-633 (Submitted on June 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,404 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 29, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.