Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Anahuac in Chambers County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fort Anahuac

 
 
Fort Anahuac Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 1, 2015
1. Fort Anahuac Marker
Inscription. Known as Perry's Point until 1825, Anahuac was a port of entry for early Texas colonists. In 1830 the Mexican government established a military post here to collect customs duties and to enforce the law of April 6, 1830, which curtailed further Anglo-American colonization. Situated on a high bluff at the mouth of the Trinity River, Fort Anahuac controlled access to East Texas settlements. Two 18-pound guns topped the 7-foot thick brick walls of the bastion. Four-foot thick walls protected the adjacent barracks, and an underground tunnel led to a nearby powder magazine.

Col. Juan Davis Bradburn, commander of the Anahuac garrison, angered Texas colonists by conscripting labor and supplies to construct the fort and by failing to control his disorderly troops. In 1832 he unjustly imprisoned William B. Travis, Patrick C. Jack, and other settlers here. When he refused to release the men, armed conflict erupted between Texas and Mexican forces. The confrontation here, which also sparked fighting at Velasco and adoption of the Turtle Bayou resolutions, resulted in Bradburn's dismissal and the removal of Mexican troops from the post. Today the ruins of Fort Anahuac are a physical reminder of events that kindled the drive for Texas independence.
 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission.
Fort Anahuac Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 1, 2015
2. Fort Anahuac Marker
The marker on the right is Fort Travis, the one on the left is Robert McAlpin Williamson
(Marker Number 9123.)
 
Location. 29° 45.345′ N, 94° 41.276′ W. Marker is in Anahuac, Texas, in Chambers County. Marker is at the intersection of Unnamed roads within the park and Unnamed roads within the park, on the right on Unnamed roads within the park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Anahuac TX 77514, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert McAlpin Williamson (here, next to this marker); Juan Davis Bradburn (within shouting distance of this marker); William Barret Travis (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort Anahuac (within shouting distance of this marker); Round Point (approx. 1.5 miles away); Birthplace of Governor Ross Shaw Sterling (1875-1949) (approx. 3.2 miles away); Turtle Bayou Resolutions (approx. 6 miles away); Chambers County Youth Project Show (approx. 6.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anahuac.
 
Regarding Fort Anahuac. Conflict surrounding this fort lit the fuse for the Texas War of Independence from Mexico. See "Turtle Bayou Resolutions" marker.
The name of the town, Anah˙ac, is the Nahuatl word for the area that originally included what is now Mexico City, Mexico.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From the Texas Almanac. (Submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. From Fort Wiki. (Submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories. War, Texas Independence
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement