St. Albans in Franklin County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
This site, the former Henry Seymour farm, became a Civil War camp named in honor of Vermontís second Civil War Governor, Frederick Holbrook. Over 1000 men of the 5th Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment camped on this land and were mustered in to Federal service for three years on Sept. 16, 1861. A week later they marched 1½ miles to the St. Albans train station and departed for Washington, D.C. In the late winter and early spring of 1865, Camp Holbrook was again the site of military activity. Two companies of the frontier cavalry recruited immediately after the St. Albans Raid on Oct. 19, 1864 occupied the nearby fields. These soldiers patrolled the borderlands providing security for the citizens of Vermont until midsummer of 1865.
Erected 2010 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Location. 44° 49.799′ N, 73° 4.753′ W. Marker is in St. Albans, Vermont, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Orchard Road and Swanton Road (U.S. 7), on the right when traveling west on Old Orchard Road. Touch for map. Marker is located adjacent to the Vermont Federal Credit Union. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 Old Orchard Road, Saint Albans VT 05478, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers St. Albans Raid (approx. 1.3 miles away); Consuelo Northrop Bailey (approx. 6.8 miles away); Chester A. Arthur (approx. 6.8 miles away); Highgate Falls Lenticular Truss Bridge (approx. 7.3 miles away); Missisquoi Village and Mission (approx. 7.4 miles away); Colonel Elisha Sheldon (approx. 7Ĺ miles away); Sheldon, Vermont (approx. 7.6 miles away); Fenian Raids (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 306 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.