Honfleur in Calvados, Normandie, France
Le Faubourg Saint-Catherine / Le Faubourg Saint-Léonard
Ils'agit de l'une des plus grandes églises en bois de France. Elle à la particularité d'être la seule église en bois à posséder un clocher séparé du reste de l'église.
Saint-Catherine's area used to be bordered by the sea. Obviously it became the sailors district. During the second part of the 15th century, they built the amazing Sainte-Catherine's Church. Because of a lack of money they used wood as material. It's the largest wooden church in France with a separate bell tower.
Au XIXème siècle, on ajouta à l'église un portail de pierre néoclassique. Il fut détruit
During the 19th century a neoclassic stone portal was added to the church. It was destroyed in 1929, but it appears on many Impressionist paintings.
Le Faubourg Saint-Léonard
De nos jours seules subsistent du XVème siècle, la 1ère travée de la nef et la façade. Le portail principal a conservé son décor de gothique flamboyant. Le grand clocher octogonal date du XVIIIème siècle.
Saint Léonard's area, unlike Sainte Catherine's, is turned to the countryside. The church, located in the heart of the parish has known many incidents. It was destroyed several times between the 15th and the 16th centuries. Nowadays, the only remains of the 15th century are the first section of the nave and the façade. The porch has kept its gothic decoration. The bell tower dates from the 18th century.
En 1824, le peintre Eugène Boudin est né rue Bourdet dans le quartier Saint Léonard.
Erected by le gentilé des habitants de Honfleur.
Location. 49° 25.239′ N, 0° 14.046′ E. Marker is in Honfleur, Normandie, in Calvados. Marker is at the intersection of Quai de la Quarantaine and Quai Saint-Etienne, on the right when traveling east on Quai de la Quarantaine. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Honfleur, Normandie 14600, France.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 2. submitted on August 14, 2015. 3. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 14, 2015. 5. submitted on August 1, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.