Near Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Both school and community were named in honor of Moore. The school became the center of community activities, and on one occasion a double wedding was held on the front steps. The school trustees, besides serving as administrators, took care of repairs and maintenance work. A residence for teachers was added in 1933, and a 1934 bond election provided funds to enlarge the school and build a gymnasium.
The school and community experienced some hard times, and the year 1917 is remembered as one of the worst. Young men were lost to World War I, and an influenza epidemic devastated the community.
On February 26, 1945, the school and adjoining buildings were destroyed by fire. The school was never rebuilt, and the district was discontinued and partitioned as required by the Gilmer-Aiken School Law in 1949.
Erected 1986 by Texas
Location. 32° 18.544′ N, 101° 31.336′ W. Marker is near Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is at the intersection of Moore School Road and Fairview Road, on the left when traveling west on Moore School Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Masonic Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); St. Thomas Catholic Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); The J. & W. Fisher Company (approx. 4.6 miles away); Big Spring Hardware Company (approx. 4.6 miles away); A Historical Big Spring Meat Market (approx. 4.6 miles away); Potton House (approx. 4.7 miles away); The Seventh Earl of Aylesford (approx. 4.7 miles away); Settles Hotel (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.