Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

A Historical Big Spring Meat Market

 
 
A Historical Big Spring Meat Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
1. A Historical Big Spring Meat Market Marker
Inscription. In 1884, a most unlikely fellow bought a lot and had built on it a structure of native limestone to house Big Spring’s first meat market. Joseph Heneage Finch, the Seventh Earl of Aylesford, Warwickshire, England (forced out of his country in the wake of a divorce scandal) went on a hunting and investment expedition in the West Texas area. He set up one of his headquarters in Big Spring, and, being very particular about the source and quality of his meat, had in his retinue his own butcher, Von Paussen, who performed this service for him and for the public in the stone structure at what is now called 121 Main Street, the first permanent masonry building in Big Spring. An immense marble slab covered the counter.

The Earl’s preference in meat was mutton. While sheep outnumbered cattle in this western frontier village, the natives did not butcher them, so the earl had an unlimited supply for himself and his English brothers, friends, and servants.

The generous and amiable “Judge”, as he was locally known, died January 13, 1886, at the age of thirty-five from excessive drinking. His body was returned to England for burial. His brief two years in Big Spring were legendary, and he is remembered with high esteem.

The inventory of the probate of the Earl of Aylesford included, among other properties,
A Historical Big Spring Meat Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
2. A Historical Big Spring Meat Market Marker
“One meat market, $1800.” In later years the storefront was faced with brick.
 
Erected by Howard County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 32° 15.217′ N, 101° 28.643′ W. Marker is in Big Spring, Texas, in Howard County. Marker is on South Main Street north of East 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 121 South Main Street, Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Big Spring Hardware Company (a few steps from this marker); The J. & W. Fisher Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Settles Hotel (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Potton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First National Bank in Big Spring (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Thomas Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Big Spring School District (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
A Historical Big Spring Meat Market image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 11, 2015
3. A Historical Big Spring Meat Market
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement