Big Spring in Howard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank in Big Spring
West Texas National Bank, chartered on February 28, 1903, opened in a building on the northeast corner of Second and Main, and in 1909 began construction of a new building on the southeast corner of Second and Main. The 1920s were prosperous years for the local banks, but the Depression of the 1930s brought hard times to both institutions. In 1934 the two banks merged and became the First National Bank in Big Spring. The new institution occupied the former West Texas National Bank building at the southeast corner of Second and Main. In 1963 the bank moved to new facilities at the southwest corner of Fourth and Main.
Pioneer ranching families involved with the early banks and the merger made a lasting contribution to the growth and prosperity of Big Spring.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1787.)
Location. 32° 15.079′ N, 101° Touch for map. Marker is on the southwest corner. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 S Main St, Big Spring TX 79720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Settles Hotel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Historical Big Spring Meat Market (approx. 0.2 miles away); Big Spring Hardware Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); The J. & W. Fisher Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Potton House (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Christian Church (approx. half a mile away); St. Thomas Catholic Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Big Spring School District (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Spring.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 177 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 2, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.