Odessa in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Emmet V. Headlee, M.D
The young couple arrived in Odessa in Nov. 1926, and Dr. Headlee became the only doctor in a town which then numbered about 450 people. His first office was in the back of a drugstore, and the front rooms of the Headleesí first home were examination and operating rooms. Dr. Headlee became Ector County health officer and also served patients from throughout the region. He opened a seven-bed hospital in 1934, which expanded before 1949, when Medical Center Hospital opened with Dr. Headlee on staff. Near this site, the Headlees bought land for the animals which Dr. Headlee accepted as payment in lieu of cash during the Great
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16767.)
Location. 31° 53.865′ N, 102° 19.028′ W. Marker is in Odessa, Texas, in Ector County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 338 0.1 miles north of State Highway 191, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at the TX-338 entrance to Chimney Rock Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6201 TX-191 Frontage, Odessa TX 79762, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Buffalo Wallow (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ector County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Comanche War Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); Ector County's First Dry Hole (approx. 3 miles away); The Parker Family (approx. 3.5 miles away); E.G. Rodman, Sr. (approx. 4.2 miles away); W.D. Noel (approx. 4.2 miles away); M.O. Boring, Jr. (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Odessa.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 4, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.