Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opelousas in Saint Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

St. Landry Catholic Church

 
 
St. Landry Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
May 17, 2005
1. St. Landry Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. Founded as the "Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Post of Opelousas" by Capuchin monks. First recorded church ritual performed in 1756: first pastor Fr. Valentin. In 1796 Michel Prudhomme donated 120 arpents of land for the present church site. First brick church erected in 1828 by Fr. Rossi. Present edifice constructed by Fr. Engberink in 1908-1909.
 
Erected by Poste Des Oplelousas, Inc.
 
Location. 30° 32.58′ N, 92° 4.779′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in Saint Landry Parish. Marker is on East Church Street east of North Main Street (Louisiana Highway 182), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1020 N Main St,, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named St. Landry Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur (within shouting distance of this marker); Opelousas Catholic School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Opelousas (approx.
St. Landry Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
May 17, 2005
2. St. Landry Catholic Church
0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Opelousas (approx. 0.7 miles away); Seven Brothers Oak (approx. mile away); Saint Landry Parish Mural (approx. mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
Also see . . .  St. Landry Catholic Church. (Submitted on August 6, 2015.)
 
Categories. Churches & Religion
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2015. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement