Grahamville in Jasper County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Euhaw Baptist Church
Established on Edisto Island about 1686 by Scotch dissenters, this is the second oldest Baptist organization in the South. For many years a branch of First Baptist Church in Charleston, Euhaw declared itself a seperate church in 1745 after relocating to this vicinity from Edisto Island. A sanctuary was built 6 mi. NE
in 1751; it burned in 1857. The first sanctuary on this site was built in 1860. It burned in 1904 and was replaced by the sanctuary in 1906, which is still used for occasional services. The present sanctuary nearby was built in 1982.
Erected 1995 by Members and Friends. (Marker Number 27-12.)
Location. 32° 28.105′ N, 80° 57.991′ W. Marker is in Grahamville, South Carolina, in Jasper County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3676 Bees Creek Rd, Ridgeland SC 29936, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grahamville ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Church of the Holy Trinity ( approx. 0.2 miles away); Gopher Tortoise Square ( approx. 1.3 miles away); Ridgeland St. Paul's Methodist Church ( approx. 1.4 miles away); Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse ( approx. 1.5 miles away); Ridgeland Baptist Church ( approx. 2.2 miles away); Great Swamp Baptist Church ( approx. 3.6 miles away).
Also see . . . Churches of the County - Euhaw Baptist Church. Moving Finger of Jasper, by Grace Fox Perry (©2001). (Submitted on July 2, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,836 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on October 2, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on June 30, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.