Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tamaqua in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Little Schuylkill Railroad

 
 
Little Schuylkill Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 1, 2015
1. Little Schuylkill Railroad Marker
Inscription. The first railroad in the nation to haul anthracite coal by steam locomotive was built in 1829. It connected the rich coal mines of the Tamaqua area with the Schuylkill Canal at Port Clinton. The 21-mile line opened in 1831 and is still in operation today.
 
Erected 2004 by Tamaqua Area Partnership.
 
Location. 40° 47.843′ N, 75° 58.183′ W. Marker is in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, in Schuylkill County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (U.S. 209) and Center Street (Pennsylvania Route 309) on West Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tamaqua PA 18252, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jno. F. McGinty Brewery (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Murder of Benjamin Yost (approx. 0.4 miles away); Odd Fellows Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (approx. 4 miles away); No. 8 Colliery (approx. 4 miles away); Philip Ginder (approx. 5.2 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tamaqua.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceRailroads & Streetcars
 
Little Schuylkill Railroad Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 1, 2015
2. Little Schuylkill Railroad Marker
Little Schuylkill Railroad Station image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 1, 2015
3. Little Schuylkill Railroad Station
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 5, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement