Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tamaqua in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua

 
 
Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 1, 2015
1. Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua Marker
Inscription. The Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua was built by William Donaldson in 1850 as the town’s first bank. In 1865 it became the First National Bank and moved across the street. During the 1880’s the building served as the home of Col. Henry L. Cake who let troops into several American Civil War battles including Williamsburg and Crampton’s Gap. The Italianate and Federal style structure is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by Tamaqua, Pennsylvania.
 
Location. 40° 47.831′ N, 75° 58.364′ W. Marker is in Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, in Schuylkill County. Marker is at the intersection of West Broad Street (U.S. 209) and North Nescopec Street, on the right when traveling west on West Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tamaqua PA 18252, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Little Schuylkill Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Murder of Benjamin Yost (approx. ¼ mile away); Odd Fellows Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Jno. F. McGinty Brewery (approx. half a mile away); Mary Harris "Mother" Jones
Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, August 1, 2015
2. Anthracite Bank of Tamaqua Marker
(approx. 4.2 miles away); No. 8 Colliery (approx. 4.2 miles away); Philip Ginder (approx. 5.4 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tamaqua.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 5, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement