Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Edwards in Hinds County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Champion House Site

 
 
Champion House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
1. Champion House Site Marker
Inscription.
In 1853, the land now known as Champion Hill was given to Sid and Matilda Champion as a wedding present from her father, Eli Montgomery. They erected a two-story white frame house on the Old Jackson Road overlooking the railroad near Midway Station. Sid joined the 28th Regiment Mississippi Cavalry in Vicksburg, 1862, leaving Matilda in charge of the plantation. Her worst fears came true May 15, 1863, when she heard that Grant's army was marching westward toward Vicksburg. She gathered her four young children and fled to her parents' home in Madison County. On May 16, the Battle of Champion Hill was fought, primarily on the Champions' property. The house served as a Union hospital and was later torched by the Yankees. After Vicksburg, Sid fought in the Atlanta and Tennessee campaigns. In 1865, Sid and Matilda returned to Champion Hill and built a modest house at Midway Station. Sid died three years later at age 45. Matilda died in 1907 at the age of 80. Both are buried in the family cemetery.
 
Erected 2007 by Champion Heritage Foundation.
 
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 32° 20.479′ N, 90° 31.307′ W. Marker was near Edwards, Mississippi, in Hinds County
Champion House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
2. Champion House Site Marker
. Marker could be reached from Champion Hill Road 0.2 miles west of South Farr Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located on the grounds to the left of the Champion Hill Baptist Church. Marker was in this post office area: Edwards MS 39066, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. The Hill of Death (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the 3rd Battery, Ohio Light Artillery (approx. half a mile away); Bowen's Counterattack (approx. one mile away); Champion Hill Battlefield (approx. one mile away); The Battle of Champion Hill (approx. one mile away); A Narrow Escape (approx. 3.4 miles away); The Death of General Tilghman (approx. 3.4 miles away); Chicago Mercantile Battery - Artillery in the Yard (approx. 3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Matilda Champion. (Submitted on August 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.)
2. The Batlle of Champion Hill. (Submitted on August 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.)
3. Champion Hill. Battle maps, photos and information regarding the Battle of Champion Hill. (Submitted on August 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee.) 
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
Champion House Site Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
3. Champion House Site Marker
Marker in distance to the left
Sid & Matilda Champion image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
4. Sid & Matilda Champion
Champion Hill Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
5. Champion Hill Baptist Church
Champion Hill Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
6. Champion Hill Baptist Church Marker
Champion House Site Witness Tree image. Click for full size.
By Brandon Fletcher, November 28, 2008
7. Champion House Site Witness Tree
This tree is said to have been living during the time of the Battle of Champion Hill, located behind the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 6, 2015, by Brandon Fletcher of Chattanooga, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of 2015 replacement marker. Marker has new text. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement