Cardinal in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Cardinal
The grist-mill built at Point Cardinal by Hugh Munro about 1796 fostered the development here of a small settlement. A sawmill and store were later erected, and in 1837 a post-office, "Edwardsburgh", was established. In 1858, attracted by abundant water-power and the operation of the Galops shipping canal (1846) and the Grand Trunk Railway (1855), William T. Benson and Thomas Aspden founded the Canada Starch Works. Its prosperity stimulated the growth of Elgin, as Edwardsburgh was also known, and in 1864 the hamlet, with 300 inhabitants, contained several other prominent businesses, notably the James McLatchie foundry. The community was incorporated as the Village of Cardinal, with a population of 800, by a by-law which became effective in 1880.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation, Ministry of Culture and Recreation.
Location. 44° 47.344′ N, 75° 22.919′ W. Marker is in Cardinal, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Provincial Highway 2 and Bridge Street, on the right when traveling east on Provincial Highway 2. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cardinal, Ontario K0E 1E0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow St. Paul's Church (approx. 2 kilometers away); Honor Roll World War II (approx. 8.2 kilometers away in the U.S.); Johnstown 1789 (approx. 8.2 kilometers away); Eastern Ontario's First Court House and Gaol (approx. 8.2 kilometers away); Welcome to the Site of The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 11.2 kilometers away); Nicholas "Nic" Sovie USMC (approx. 11.4 kilometers away in the U.S.).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.