Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Natchitoches in Natchitoches Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Fort Claiborne

 
 
Site of Fort Claiborne Marker image. Click for full size.
May 17, 2005
1. Site of Fort Claiborne Marker
Inscription. Fort established here in 1804. Named after William C.C. Claiborne, then governor of territorial Louisiana. Protected U.S. interests on southwestern frontier. Garrisoned almost continuously until establishment of Fort Jesup in 1822.
 
Erected 1981 by Department of Culture, Recreation and Tourism.
 
Location. 31° 45.791′ N, 93° 5.262′ W. Marker is in Natchitoches, Louisiana, in Natchitoches Parish. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Lafayette Street, on the left when traveling north on 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Natchitoches LA 71457, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. El Camino Real (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Louis Juchereau de St. Denis (about 600 feet away); Natchitoches Indians (about 600 feet away); Roque House (about 700 feet away); Ft. St. Jean Baptiste (approx. mile away); Colonial Gateway Corral (approx. 1.1 miles away); Old Plauche Place / Ducournau Plantation (approx. 7.3 miles away); Marie Theresa de la Grande Terre (approx. 12.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Natchitoches.
 
Categories. Forts, Castles
 
Site of Fort Claiborne Marker image. Click for full size.
May 17, 2005
2. Site of Fort Claiborne Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2015. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement