Near Penwell in Ector County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
However, when Connell well began pumping only 20 barrels a day, the boom crowd moved away. The city was abandoned.
As nearby counties off the railroad struck oil that had to be shipped by the Texas & Pacific to refineries, Ector County in 1927 had a "Truck Drivers Boom" --a foretaste of the leadership in supply and servicing that was to develop progressively.
Then on Oct. 14, 1929, on Robert Penn's land here, a 375-barrel per day well came in. With that showing, exploration continued, soon followed by the Penn Well, the 600 to 700-barrel a day gusher.
In a busy, bustling and prosperous tent city, the Penwell Post Office was established June 30, 1930. This has remained a central distributing and shipping point for numerous fields in several Permian Basin counties, thereby establishing and earned reputation as "The Crossroads of the Oil Patch".
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3984.)
Location. 31° 43.931′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Penwell TX 79776, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ector County Discovery Well (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Caprock (approx. 3½ miles away); Odessa Meteor Craters (was approx. 5.7 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Odessa Meteor Crater (approx. 7.8 miles away); Well's Point (approx. 13.7 miles away); Monahans Sandhills State Park and Museum (approx. 14.4 miles away); Notrees (approx. 15½ miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 8, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 198 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 8, 2015, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.