The Hub in itís Heyday
Weissport Lehigh Canal
Look aroundÖimagine a planning mill, blacksmith shop and covered dry dock. A boiler house with a steam engine belching smoke. A mule-powered railway for hauling boats out of the water in its heyday. Weissport had storage sheds for metal and lumber. Mules, hundreds of mules, filled nearby stables.
Residents shopped at three general stores. Two coal yards sold the Canalís most plentiful cargo. Nearby everyone in Weissport depended upon the Canal. And the Canal depended upon the town. More than 8 out of every 10 Canal employees (except for locktenders and boatmen) lived in or near Weissport.
“Weissport though small in sizeÖwas about the liveliest place in the Lehigh Valley”
“Dr. Clarence Weiss, 1942”
Erected by Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor.
Location. 40° 49.889′ N, 75° 42.044′ W. Marker is in Weissport, Pennsylvania, in Carbon County. Marker is on Main Road. Touch for map. The marker is located in Weissport Lehigh Canal Park. Marker is in this post office area: Lehighton PA 18235, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 9, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 9, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.