Oregon City in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
National Historic Site
He won enduring fame for his generous and humane aid to early American settlers in the Oregon Country, as Chief Factor and Superintendent of the Hudsonís Bay Company in this territory, 1824-45.
In 1850, Dr. McLoughlin presented this park to Oregon City.
In 1851 he became a citizen of the United States.
His house, which originally stood closer to the river, was removed to this location in 1909.
Erected 1950 by National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 45° 21.431′ N, 122° 36.341′ W. Marker is in Oregon City, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on Center Street near 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 713 Center St, Oregon City OR 97045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eva Emery Dye (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Forbes Barclay (within shouting distance of this marker); McCald Building (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); OK Barber Shop (about 700 feet away); Joseph L. Meek Veterans Memorial Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Larry G. Dahl (approx. half a mile away); Oregon City (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oregon City.
Also see . . .
1. The McLoughlin Memorial Association. The McLoughlin House stands today as a reminder of the great contribution Dr. John McLoughlin made to the settlement of the Oregon Country. (Submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. McLoughlin House. National Park System website. (Submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Exploration • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,591 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on July 1, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.