Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Prescott Barracks and Hospital
The front portion of this structure one of the earliest surviving military buildings in Ontario, was constructed as a residence about 1810 by Colonel Edward Jessup, the founder of Prescott. Following the outbreak of the War of 1812, the stone house was appropriated for use as a barracks by local militia and, later, British regulars. It was soon enclosed within a stockade with other buildings, including a log schoolhouse also converted for barracks. Although a fort was completed nearby in 1814, the Jessup building continued to form part of the strategically located Prescott garrison. Between 1815 and 1817 it served as a combined hospital and barracks store, and in 1823 the British force purchased the house from the Jessup family.
Erected by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 44° 42.743′ N, 75° 30.742′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on East Street 0.1 kilometers north of King Street East (Ontario Highway 2). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 356 East Street, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prescott War Memorial (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Fort Wellington Sir Richard William Scott (about 180 meters away); Major James Morrow Walsh (about 210 meters away); Col. Edward Jessup (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Bytown and Prescott Railway Company 1850 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Forwarding Trade at Prescott (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Grand Trunk Railway (approx. one kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.