Prescott in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
1747 - 1798
Born in Connecticut, Sherwood settled in Vermont in 1774. On the outbreak of the American Revolution he was arrested as a Loyalist, but escaped to join the British at Crown Point. He was taken prisoner at Saratoga in 1777, and after being exchanged was commissioned as a captain in the intelligence service. From 1780 to 1783 he had charge of secret negotiations which, it was hoped, would result in Vermont's rejoining the British Empire. Sherwood, who took up land in this township in 1784, played a leading role in its settlement. One of the District's first magistrates, he was also a member of the local land board until his death.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 44° 42.043′ N, 75° 31.781′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Provincial Highway 2 and Merwin Lane, on the right when traveling east on Provincial Highway 2. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1671 Ontario Route 2, Prescott, Ontario K0E 1T0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capture of Ogdensburg (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); Grand Trunk Railway (approx. The Forwarding Trade at Prescott (approx. 1.5 kilometers away); Sir Richard William Scott (approx. 1.7 kilometers away); Major James Morrow Walsh (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); Prescott Barracks and Hospital (approx. 1.9 kilometers away); Prescott War Memorial (approx. 2 kilometers away); Fort Wellington (approx. 2.1 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.