New Iberia in Iberia Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Dreyfus Building
In the late nineteenth century, the Dreyfus building functioned as a large wholesale grocery. The original brick structure dates back to the period just after the great fire of 1870. In late 1929, it was partitioned to create two buildings. The Dreyfus building became known as the Sports Center in 1937 and was a popular gathering place of local residents for many years. The building remained vacant until 2003. At that time the building was purchased by the City of New Iberia and was designated as the Bayou Teche Museum to be operated by the New Iberia Museum Foundation.
Mayor J. Allen Daigre and Hildarose Guidry Daigre
Iberia Cultural Resources Association 2008
Erected 2008 by Iberia Cultural Resources.
Location. 30° 0.303′ N, 91° 49.043′ W. Marker is in New Iberia, Louisiana, in Iberia Parish. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street (State Highway 182) and Julia Street (Route 86), on the right when traveling west on East Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 East Main Street, New Iberia LA 70560, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Davis Building (here, next to this marker); Evangeline Theater Segura - Labourgeois Building (within shouting distance of this marker); James Lee Burke (within shouting distance of this marker); William G. "Bunk" Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Murray Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Bazus Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Iberia.
More about this marker. One of twenty-one trilingual historical markers (Spanish, French and English) located throughout New Iberia.
Also see . . . Bayou Teche Museum. (Submitted on August 11, 2015.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015. This page has been viewed 276 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.