Fort Laramie in Goshen County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
General Sink (Latrine)
In the 1880’s the Surgeon General determined that the privy vault - - “That most objectionable and dangerous nuisance” - - was a threat to the soldier’s health. His concern had been prompted by the accumulated reports from disgusted post surgeons including several from Fort Laramie. Post surgeon Hartsuff, for instance, had recommended in 1874 that sinks be made bearable at least, so that “The call of nature shall not go unheeded nor be hurriedly performed.” This latrine, constructed in 1886, was hailed as a great improvement. Its contents were flushed through pipes to the river which was regarded as adequate disposal in those days. Only the foundation remains of this lime-grout structure.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 12.133′ N, 104° 33.405′ W. Marker is in Fort Laramie, Wyoming, in Goshen County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 160, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at Fort Laramie National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Laramie WY 82212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Queens of Soap Suds Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Guardhouse The “New” Guardhouse and Adjacent Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Army Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Parade Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Military Justice: Punishment Harsh and Certain (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Embassy on the Northern Plains (about 300 feet away); Administration Building (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Laramie.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.