Fort Laramie in Goshen County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
The “New” Guardhouse and Adjacent Barracks
The “new” guardhouse, built in 1876 and shown in this 1887 view, was the last and most comfortable of three such structures at Fort Laramie. It was constructed upon the ruins of the original guardhouse, built in 1849-1850. The “new” guardhouse contained spacious guard quarters and prison rooms, and relatively few prisoners. In 1885, for example, inmates averaged less than three out of every hundred soldiers on the post. Also appearing in the photograph is the two-company, 1866 barracks on the right – an adobe structure with a wooden porch – and the three-company frame barracks on the left, erected in 1868. Foundation ruins are all that remain of these buildings.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 42° 12.144′ N, 104° 33.428′ W. Marker is in Fort Laramie, Wyoming, in Goshen County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 160, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is located at Fort Laramie National Historic Site. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Laramie WY 82212, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guardhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Parade Ground (within shouting General Sink (Latrine) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Queens of Soap Suds Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Army Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Infantry Barracks (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Military Justice: Punishment Harsh and Certain (about 300 feet away); John (Portugee) Phillips (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Laramie.
Also see . . . Fort Laramie National Historic Site. (Submitted on August 10, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 194 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 10, 2015, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.