Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wausau in Marathon County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Teachers Training School in Wisconsin

1899 • 1943

 
 
First Teachers Training School in Wisconsin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 8, 2015
1. First Teachers Training School in Wisconsin Marker
Inscription. Rural Teacher Training needs became apparent in Marathon County before the turn of the century. John F. Lamont, Marathon County School Superintendent, investigat­ed the problem and urged Senator A. L. Kruetzer to introduce legislation in the 1887 session of the Wisconsin Legislature. The Marathon County Board appropriated $12,000 for construction of a building, completed in October 1902, to house classes for the Training School for Teachers and the Agriculture and Domestic Economy. Classes began September 11, 1899 in the Humboldt School in Wausau with Professor Oliver E. Wells as Principal at a salary of $1800 per year and Miss Rosalia Bohrer as Teacher at $1300 per year. In the ensuing 43 years, 48 faculty members graduated approximately 1444 teachers, most of whom taught in 365 rural schools to broaden the outlook, knowledge and social contacts for all people.
 
Erected 1972 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 180.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 44° 57.539′ N, 89° 38.707′ W. Marker is in Wausau, Wisconsin, in Marathon County. Marker is at the intersection of West Stewart Avenue (State Highway 52) and
First Teachers Training School in Wisconsin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., August 8, 2015
2. First Teachers Training School in Wisconsin Marker
South 8th Avenue, on the right when traveling east on West Stewart Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at the University of Wisconsin - Marathon County campus, next to Parking Lot B (near the north entrance to the administration building). Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 South 7th Avenue, Wausau WI 54401, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Business Boomed at Big Bull Falls (approx. half a mile away); Why is it called Big Bull Falls? (approx. 0.6 miles away); Big Bull Falls • Birthplace of Wausau (approx. 0.6 miles away); Big Bull Falls (approx. 0.6 miles away); Wausau Water Works (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Federal Building (approx. ¾ mile away); Pioneer Rehabilitation Center (approx. 0.9 miles away); Third Marathon County Courthouse (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wausau.
 
Also see . . .  Historic sign unveiling set for August 3. According to this article, in April 2015, the University of Wisconsin-Marathon County and the Wausau West Side Business Association "had the marker removed so its surface could be restored and made readable." (Submitted on August 11, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 15, 2008, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 896 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on August 11, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement