Maitland in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Pointe Au Baril
The barques "Iroquoise" and "Outaouaise", the last French ships of war that navigated Lake Ontario, were built on this point, then called Pointe Au Baril.
On 17th August, 1760, the Outaouaise, commanded by Captain La Broquerie, was taken after a gallant fight, by five British Row-Galleys, under Colonel George Williamson.
Les Barques "Iroquoise" et "Outaouaise", derniers vaisseaux de guerre Français qui aient navigué sur le lac Ontario, furent construites sur cette pointe, appelée alors Pointe Au Baril.
L'Outaouaise commandée par le Capitaine La Broquerie, fut capturée le 17 août 1760, après un combat acharné, par cinq galères Anglaise sous les ordres du Colonel George Williamson.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Location. 44° 38.25′ N, 75° 36.604′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Provincial Highway 2 0.1 kilometers west of Maitland Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is attached to a cairn and surrounded by a low metal fence. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1284 Ontario Route 2, Maitland, Ontario K0E 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers Dorothy Martha Dumbrille (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 (about 240 meters away); Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. (about 240 meters away); The Founding of Maitland (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dumbrille's Store (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); St. James Church 1826 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.2 kilometers away in the U.S.); Homewood (approx. 2.7 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maitland.
Also see . . . Parks Canada - Pointe Au Baril. (Submitted on August 11, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.