Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
St. Mary's Catholic Church
Inscription. Parish founded in 1852 by German Catholics desiring ministry in their native tongue. Cornerstone laid 30 Sept. 1864 at this site while Union soldiers fired a salute. Second oldest Catholic church in Memphis. Designed by noted architect James B. Cook (1826-1909) F.A.I.A., dedicated 30 Oct. 1870. Third Order of Franciscans O.F.M. headquarters established here 1870; monastery added 1871. Lourdes Shrine, built 1875 and blessed 1895 by Pope Leo XIII, only Catholic Grotto in Tennessee. Entered 7 August 1974 in National Register of Historic Places of National Park Service.
By Steve Masler
1. St. Mary's Catholic Church Marker
Dedicated in loving memory to those who have served so well the spiritual needs of the Citizens of Memphis.
Erected by West Tennessee Historical Society and Friends of St. Mary's.
Location. 35° 9.076′ N, 90° 2.86′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of North Third Street and Market Street, on the right when traveling south on North Third Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Memphis TN 38105, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lauderdale Courts / Presley Family at Lauderdale Courts (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Congregation B'Nai Israel
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Josiah T. Settle (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Shelby County Archives and Hall of Records / Former Criminal Courts Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former Criminal Courts Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Casey Jones (approx. ¼ mile away); Let Freedom Ring (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Memphis.
By Steve Masler, August 11, 2015
2. St. Mary's Catholic Church
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2015, by Steve Masler of Memphis, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.