Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Hardin-Simmons Bell
When Simmons Science Hall was built in 1918-1919, most of Old Main was torn down and the bell tower destroyed. The bell was unceremoniously placed on the roof of the Science Hall.
In 1944, Mrs. J.D. (Lucile) Sandefer, first lady of Hardin-Simmons University, climbed up on the roof of the Science Hall and had the bell brought down. She and her son, J.D. “Jake” Sandefer Jr., secured the building of this bell tower.
Today the bell silently represents the universityís founding, its traditions, and Mrs. Sandeferís love for Hardin-Simmons University.
Dr. Leroy J. Humphries, Class of 1964
Location. 32° 28.564′ N, 99° 44.065′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Marker can be reached from Hickory Street north of Ambler Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is located on the campus of Hardin-Simmons University east of Reflection Pond; the above
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Albert G. Maroscher Memoriam (within shouting distance of this marker); Hardin-Simmons University (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Babe Shaw Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Hardin-Simmons University Student Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William G. and Shirley Swenson Home (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch (approx. 0.8 miles away); Morgan Jones (approx. 1.2 miles away); Abilene Municipal Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.