Brockville in Leeds & Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Brockville Tunnel
Construction of Canada's first railway tunnel, which runs from this point for 1,730 feet in a northerly direction, began in September, 1854. Designed to give the Brockville and Ottawa Railway access to the riverfront, it was opened on December 31, 1860. This railway, incorporated in 1853, ran from Brockville to Sand Point, near Arnprior, with a branch line from Smith's Falls to Perth. Its first train left Brockville's Grand Trunk station on January 25, 1859, almost two years before finances permitted completion of the tunnel. The Brockville and Ottawa amalgamated in 1878 with the Canada Central Railway, which was absorbed by the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1881.
Erected 1962 by Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
Location. 44° 35.36′ N, 75° 40.902′ W. Marker is in Brockville, Ontario, in Leeds & Grenville Counties. Marker is on Block House Island Parkway 0.1 kilometers south of Water Street East, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Brockville "Van" or Caboose (within shouting distance of this marker); Blockhouse Island (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Former Brockville Post Office Ogle Robert Gowan, 1803-1876 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Gen. Sir Isaac Brock. K.C.B. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Johnstown District Court House and Gaol (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); George Chaffey (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Forsyth’s Raid 1813 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sally Grant (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); James Morris (approx. 0.4 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brockville.
Also see . . . Brockville Railway Tunnel. (Submitted on August 12, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 188 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2015, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.