Thornton in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Camp Thornton #2605 and the Civil Conservation Corps
Camp Motto: “ String Along”
The CCC was formed by the federal government during the Great Depression to help unemployed men and their families. The men enlisted for six months at a time; 18 months was the maximum length of service. CCC workers received $31 per month, $25 of which was sent home to their families. Army and Naval Reserve Officers governed the Corps. Civilian men taught trades, including concrete construction, bricklaying, carpentry, machinery operation, and tree planting.
Beautiful flagstone picnic shelters, roadways, and bridges built by the CCC can still be seen throughout the Cook County Forest Preserves and other local, state, and national parks around the country.
Camp Thornton existed until 1942. From June 1945 through April 1946, the camp was used as a German P.O.W. camp. It was also home to Illiana Christian High School from September 1946 through December 1947. The South Suburban Council of Girl Scouts began using the facilities as a camp beginning in 1951. The last portions of the camp
Erected 2010 by The Village of Thornton Historical Society and the Illinois State Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Illinois State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 41° 33.377′ N, 87° 35.906′ W. Marker is in Thornton, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker can be reached from Cottage Grove Avenue ¼ mile south of 183rd Street. Touch for map. The marker is located in Thornton in Sweet Woods Park which is on the west side of Cottage Grove Avenue just south of its intersection with 183rd Street. The marker is located along a walking path, just inside the entrance to the forest preserve. Marker is in this post office area: Thornton IL 60476, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Washington Park Racetrack (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dixie Highway connected Chicago to Miami in the early days of automobile travel (approx. 3½ miles away); Dixie Highway (approx. 3½ miles away); Site of Absolem Wells Cabin (approx. 4 miles away); The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section" St. John Township School District #2 (approx. 7.3 miles away in Indiana); Dutch in the Calumet Region (approx. 8.4 miles away in Indiana).
Additional keywords. CCC
Categories. • Charity & Public Work •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 12, 2015, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.